Ever since we closed on Six Little Acres, we have been trying to get someone to mow the grass.
We asked friends who gave us names and numbers. We called all of them.
No one called back. Did y’all hear that? No. One.
It’s not like I said, “Hey, I need over two acres cut on a regular basis for $50 a shot.” Nope. I didn’t say that, mainly because I know that no one in their right mind would do such a thing for a mere $50, and besides, it’s a bit more than two acres before you get to the woods.
What I said was, “I need someone to cut my grass” and I left my name and number.
That used to work like magic. Clearly, it doesn’t anymore.
My favorite son in law (you know, the FSIL) asked a guy who said we would need a bush hog and $400.
I voted no on that one.
Ninja Man and I discussed it at great length and a mower was born.
It was in the budget but we were hoping to wait until later. That is, we were hoping we could FIND SOMEONE TO CUT IT until we were ready to buy one.
So we made eleventy-billion calls for a full week, the daughter looked on Craig’s List and visited some mower shops.
We finally found a sale and the folks would hold it for us.
We set out on the 4.5 hour trek from “home” to “home” with these knuckleheads.
And that’s our Hoover, passive aggressively demonstrating that he doesn’t-have-enough-room-so-he-has-to-do-his-big-ole-het-like-this. Remarkably, his neck works just fine.
So we arrived and someone wanted a rubber chicken and some treats from the Rubber Chicken and Treats store.
We picked up the mower and a snazzy little wagon to pull behind it.
Ninja Man had to try it out.
See how long that stinkin grass is??? Yeah. THAT long. Snake long. Weird bugs that bite long.
I ended up mowing (and mowing and mowing) while Ninja Man did this:
Were we ever delighted to see NICE WOOD beneath that hideous vinyl!!
We decided this would be the temporary bedroom.
Yep. We stayed there. This is now a kitty-pee-free-zone. Thanks to the removal of any and all textiles as well as my FSIL and some crazy air purifier, the place now just smells like wood and sawdust. It’s not the Hyatt, but it’s “doable” to stay in, albeit camping style.
And since there are five of us, we needed two inflatables. They worked just fine.
That’s a tarp on the floor – gotta protect those mattresses. Just in case someone needs a nap.
There’s work to be done.
Not only did I mow the grass, I also rented a pressure washer and removed a few layers of I’m not sure what off of the porch, house and anything else that wasn’t moving.
I didn’t get a good photo of the pressure washing (⬆️ that’s the soapy stuff) but here are some before and afters:
The FSIL finished it for me while I watched the grandLittles. The porch and those stairs look great now. Next is to paint a protective coating on to keep it nice.
Later that day I tried to install this shower head. I got as far as opening the package, losing a washer and putting it together before I realized we needed a tool that we didn’t have. I had to postpone THIS project until Ninja Man could get the tool.
It isn’t nearly as fancy as it looks but dang skippy it’s better than what we had.
I cleaned the tub and walls and floor and counter top and sink THREE times. This is the bathroom I was just gonna set on fire but Ninja Man cleaned the toilet and suddenly, there was promise. Believe it or not, this is a nice bathroom and far better than the other one.
Speaking of good wood (as mentioned above) Ninja Man was super encouraged to see THESE floor joists in excellent health. We stayed busy while these monkeys didn’t miss a moment of their beauty rest.
Good thing SOMEONE got some rest. Bless him. I helped carry the rest. Ninja doesn’t ask for help- and those things were HEAVY. Here’s the other stuff we did: daughter planted grapes. She is in charge of all the edible goodies on the property. Isn’t she beautiful!
And we had a septic company come by to add a hookup so we can bring the camper later on. They also moved a metal carport thingie for us.
We decided to simply connect these together. It became a GREAT idea a bit later when we were able to sit in the shade and feel the breeze. That new wood on the old shed is due to that red carport dousing water on it every time it rained – hence, the decision to move it. More repair later on, but for now it will do.
This is how it looked before:
That metal thing is the carport. We will rebuild the shed eventually. It looks terrible now but so did that bathroom! A bit of repair (OK, a LOT of repair) and we will get there!
Good thing is we aren’t in a hurry. We have a momentum going and several weeks this summer to get a lot done. Focus: interior refurb and exterior repair.
Y’all pray for us.
Thanks for visiting! Click over there somewhere to follow and share!
Love ya. Mean it.